Tel: (04) 496 5580
Shaun is a highly respected Probity Audit, Probity Advisor, Procurement, Contract Management and Project Assurance specialist with significant experience in New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Shaun was the founding director of specialist assurance services at Audit NZ (part of The Audit Office) and had a lead role in the development of probity audit services and project (IQA) assurance in New Zealand since 1998. He has provided assurance to numerous public sector entities in New Zealand during his time at The Audit Office, as a partner until May 2007 in a small advisory practice and since then, in his own right at McHale Group Ltd.
From a career perspective, Shaun has been a probity and procurement assurance specialist for over 20 years. His lengthy assurance and advisory track record of auditing and reviewing the probity of procurement and tendering processes, policies and major capital and IT projects includes the following highlights:
- New Zealand Transport Agency’s Lead Probity Auditor for all State Highway Construction and Maintenance projects – 2001-2004 and 2007-2014
- Lead Probity Auditor for the All of Government procurement and tendering processes under the Government Procurement Reform Programme – 2009-current
- Delivery of successful probity audit/assurance and project assurance review services on a range of low -high risk and value ($500,000 to $2 billion) public sector contracts, involving procurements for new public infrastructure, ICT systems, professional service engagements, corporate services, general goods and services, PPP projects (e.g Transmission Gully), syndicated procurements, and shared service arrangements
- An extensive client portfolio in New Zealand, including many Government Departments and Ministries, Crown Entities, Universities and Polytechnics, State Owned Enterprises, Local Authorities and District Health Boards, numbering over 900 Probity engagements
- The establishment and growth of the Audit Office’s probity audit and assurance capability – 1998-2004
- Lead Specialist for the UK Audit Commission’s four- year value-for-money review of major procurement and capital projects in the UK health and local government sectors – 1995-1998
- Regular conference presentations on procurement probity issues to organisations such as the State Services Commission, Institute of Internal Auditors, New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants, in addition to national procurement conferences
- The Treasury accredited Gateway reviewer.