DDI: (04) 496 5580
Shaun is a highly respected Probity Auditor, Probity Advisor, Procurement, Contract Management, and Project Assurance/IQA specialist with significant experience in New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Shaun was the founding Director of specialist assurance services at Audit NZ (part of The Audit Office). Shaun introduced probity audit services and project (IQA) assurance to New Zealand since moving here in1998. He has provided assurance to numerous public sector entities in New Zealand during his time at The Audit Office, as a partner until May 2007 in a small advisory practice and since then, in his own right at McHale Group Ltd.
From a career perspective, Shaun has been a public sector probity, projects, and procurement assurance specialist for over 25 years. His lengthy assurance and advisory track record of auditing and reviewing the probity of procurement and tendering processes, major capital and IT projects includes the following highlights:
- New Zealand Transport Agency’s Lead Probity Auditor for all State Highway Construction and Maintenance projects, public transport and all contracts – 2001-2004 and 2007-2014, and currently since 2017
- Lead Probity Auditor for the All of Government procurement and tendering processes under the MBIE Government Procurement Reform Programme – 2009-current
- Delivery of successful probity audit/assurance and project assurance/IQA review services on a range of low -high risk and value ($500,000 to $3 billion) public sector contracts, involving procurements for new public infrastructure, ICT systems, professional service engagements, corporate services, general goods and services, PPP projects (e.g Transmission Gully), syndicated procurements, and shared service arrangements
- An extensive client portfolio in New Zealand, including many Government Departments and Ministries, Crown Entities, Universities and Polytechnics, State Owned Enterprises, Local Authorities and District Health Boards, numbering over 1,000 Probity engagements
- The original establishment and growth of the Audit Office’s probity audit and assurance capability – 1998-2004
- Lead Specialist for the UK Audit Commission’s four-year value-for-money review of major procurement and capital projects in the UK health and local government sectors – 1995-1998
- Regular conference presentations on procurement probity issues to organisations such as the State Services Commission, Institute of Internal Auditors, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, in addition to national procurement conferences
- The Treasury accredited Gateway reviewer.